Nat Ma Taung National Park
The Beauty of Nat Ma Taung
Located between 21'24' N and 93'55' E in Kanpet-let,
Mindut and Matupi Townships of Chin State.
279 square miles.
Year of Establishment
Established in 1994.
Yangon to Bagan-Nyaung Oo, 320 miles by flight,
Bagan-Nyaung Oo to Chauk, 18 miles by car, Chauk via Seikpyu to Hsaw,
68 miles by car and Hsaw to Kan-pet-let, 12 miles by car or Hsaw to
Mindut, 42 miles by car.
- To conserve the watershed areas of Lemro river, Myitha river, Saw
Chaung, Maw Chaung, Salin Chaung, Che Chaung, Yow Chaung, Mon
- To conserve the scenic beauty of natural forests.
- To conserve Mountain Ecosystem and prohibit illicit hunting.
- To preserve 5 species of rare birds which can be found only in
Myanmar, other native and migratory birds their habitats.
- To preserve rare species of Myanmar Orchids.
- To educate local people to shift from practising shifting
cultivation to cultivating perennial plants and trees.
- To promote and upgrade the park as an ecotourism attraction.
- To attract tourists with water rafting and rapid-shooting during
the rainy season while the river flow is rapid.
Mammals such as tiger, bear, wild boar, leopard, guar,
serow, gibbon, etc. and 159 bird species, reptiles and butterfly are
Opportunities for Study and Recreation
- Recreation and viewing of the
natural mountain scenery.
- Visiting the third highest
Mountain in Myanmar which is (10018) feet high, and hiking a distance of
15 miles from the old Kan-pet-let city, or driving 10 miles by car from
Kan-pet-let city and hiking another 5 miles to the mountain.
- Observation of 159 bird species
including 5 indigenous species and also Blyth's Tragopan, a very rare
- Participation in organized
Orchid Tours where the most attractive Myanmar Orchids exist.
- Observing the traditional and
cultural heritage of Chin people and their living systems.
- Observing the natural forest and
trees, especially Rhododendron arboreum.
- Accommodation for 5 persons at
the guest house.